This assignment was tough as I could envision what I wanted to create, but bumbled around finding the right tools. I need to find a cheat sheet of the desired task or feature to use, with the icon of where to find the tool, with keyboard shortcuts regarding activation of that tool. I am slowly getting better. Due to my limited skills, this project turned out more simplistic than I would have liked. However, I did accomplish the goal of using shapes. Please find the progression of stages during the creative process below.
Attempt #00 – Custom Shapes
- I used the leaf and butterfly Custom Shape.
- I created the caterpillar using the Ellipse tool.
Attempt #02 – Polygon Tool
- I felt like using the Custom Shapes for the butterfly was a cheating a bit so I decided to created from scratch using Ellipse Tool and editing the properties.
- I thought it would have been more visually interesting to have each stage be a section within the butterfly Custom Shape.
Attempt #03 – Rearrange, Brush Tool
- I wanted more color. I used the colors within the handmade shapes and the Brush Tool to color only the butterfly background.
- While I appreciate the differences in text (from smooth to brushed), it feels a bit overwhelming to me.
Attempt #06 – Simplify, Re-Organize, Label
- Based on where I was at in attempt 03, I thought simplifying the graphic by removing the butterfly Custom Shape would be more aesthetically appealing.
- I also needed to re-arrange the custom shapes in their proper stages, to show the cyclical nature of butterfly development.
- I added the labels for learning the different stages.
- I like the cleaner lines, but it’s a bit boring.
Attempt #07 – Add Texture and Color
- In the final iteration, I decided to bring back the colorful butterfly Custom Shape as the background for interest. Plus, I spent a lot of time on the background and wanted to demonstrate why this project took me several hours.
- I created white backgrounds for each of the text, to ensure the words “popped”. I used the Rectangle Tool, and softened the edges to 15px in the properties.
- I do think this is a novice mistake of “adding too much”. I think I prefer attempt 06 overall.
- I think I would have the butterfly background be a solid shape, with each of the created shapes include brush strokes for next time.